BUP PhD Award 2018
The Baltic University Programme Secretariat
Uppsala, 14 May 2018
ANNOUNCING THE BALTIC UNIVERSITY PROGRAMME ANNUAL AWARD - PhD THESIS IN 2018
The Baltic University Programme (BUP) award for the best PhD thesis supports high quality research promoting sustainable development. The awards are established in two research area groups:
- Natural Sciences, Technology and Engineering
- Social Sciences and Humanities.
Deadline for nominations: 30th August 2018.
The nominations should be sent to Christian Andersson
1. The BUP award is a distinction given to the author of what is judged to be the most qualified PhD work defended at any of the member universities belonging to the Baltic University Programme according to the following criteria: inter-/multi disciplinary approach, novelty, innovation, and value for promoting sustainable development. Any author that has defended his/her PhD thesis during 2017 and 2018 can be nominated. Those having a focus on the Baltic Sea Region will be given priority in the assessment process.
2. The winners will receive a prize in the form of a diploma and a sum up to 500 Euro to cover travel costs and/or accommodation for attending a research conference. In addition, BUP will also cover travel costs and accommodation for presenting the research during one of the BUP events in 2018/2019. Travel and accommodation expenditures funded by this grant must be paid with invoice by the Baltic University Secretariat. Please observe that expenditures paid directly by the applicant will be not reimbursed.
3. Candidates nominated for the award must meet the following criteria:
- The thesis was defended in 2017-2018;
- Candidates must be nominated by a supervisor/s.
4. Applications for the BUP PhD Award must contain:
- The candidate’s CV;
- Diploma for the PhD defence, including the title of the thesis and date of the defence;
- An electronic version of the PhD thesis (thesis written in English or any language of the BUP member states will be accepted);
- A 5-page summary of the PhD thesis in English (for theses written in English as well as for those in other languages) should include:
Brief description of the research and major findings
List of publications
Description of the inter-/multi disciplinary approach
Description of the novelty and innovation of the research
Author’s argumentation on the thesis relation to the sustainable development and focus on the Baltic Sea region.
- Support letter from the supervisor of the thesis
5. Selection of the winners will be carried out by a Scientific Committee appointed by the Board of BUP. The thesis will be assessed out from the following criteria:
- inter-/multi disciplinary approach
- promoting sustainable development focus on the Baltic Sea region
6. The deadline for applications for the BUP prize is the 30th August 2018
All electronic documents must be properly named (including the title of the document as well as name of the applicant) and sent by the deadline to: attn. Christian Andersson, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Director, Ph.D. Associate Professor
The Baltic University Programme
Villavägen16, SE-752 36 Uppsala, Sweden
ph: +46-18-471 6853